Maryland Farm & Harvest takes viewers on journeys across the state, telling stories about the farms, people, and technology required to sustain and grow Maryland's number one commercial industry – agriculture. MPT's production team filmed episode segments at more than four dozen farms in preparation for its seventh season.
Series hosts Joanne Clendining and Al Spoler celebrate the season at Star Bright Farm in White Hall (Baltimore County). The episode includes a photo montage of farms in winter featuring more than 30 images submitted to the Maryland Farm & Harvest Facebook page by farmers from across the state. Viewers will enjoy scenes of snow-covered barns, cows wearing Santa hats, and other images illustrating the spirit of the season.
Segments featured on the new holiday episode are:
- Holiday Wreaths (Anne Arundel County): Maryland Farm & Harvest travels to Willow Oak Flower & Herb Farm in Severn, where fourth-generation farmer Heather Carr makes beautiful wreaths for the holiday season with greenery grown on her family's 40-acre Anne Arundel County farm. This family tradition has been passed down for 40 years, and now Heather's son Silas is part of it too.
- Growing Kosher Grain (Baltimore and Somerset Counties): Jewish farmer Ian Hertzmark of Migrash Farm in Randallstown takes special care while working with Maryland farms – such as Freshcut Organics in Eden – to grow specialty crops, including ancient organic grains like emmer and einkorn. Ian uses the latter to make flour for sufganiyot, a traditional doughnut eaten during Hanukkah. Viewers also see how grain grown for other Jewish holidays, including Passover, requires special inspection and kosher certification by a rabbi, and how this connection of faith and food drives Ian's passion for his work.
- The Local Buy: Ginger (Carroll County): Segment host Al Spoler heads to Two Boots Farm in Hampstead, where famer Elisa Lane grows ginger. This popular spice is typically grown in tropical climates, but Lane has figured out a way to grow it in Maryland. This year's crop is ready just in time to use it in holiday cookies. Al learns how to harvest and clean ginger, and then tries his hand at decorating gingerbread cookies. The cookie recipe will be available at mpt.org/farm.
More on Marylandian
- Califia and the Timeless Sentries Episode II "Legacies" Streaming Now on YouTube!
- New Research Finds Digital Learning Platforms Are a Cost-Effective Way to Improve User Proficiency of Mission-Critical IT Systems
- Evolve IP Integrates Microsoft Teams with Cisco Voice Communications; Enhances Microsoft Teams Phone Systems and Ensures Business Continuity
- Regency DRT acquires Jacksonville Florida restoration company
- The Felix Organization Announces Camp Felix Pride at The Fresh Air Fund
Maryland Farm & Harvest airs on Tuesdays at 7 p.m. on MPT-HD and is rebroadcast on Thursdays at 11:30 p.m. and Sundays at 6 a.m. Each show also airs on MPT2 on Fridays at 7:30 p.m. Previous episodes of the series can be viewed for free on the MPT app and online at MPT's website.
Viewers can join in on the conversation on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram by using the hashtag #MDFarmHarvest.
The Maryland Department of Agriculture is MPT's co-production partner for Maryland Farm & Harvest. Major funding is provided by the Maryland Grain Producers Utilization Board.
Additional funding is provided by: Maryland's Best; the Maryland Agricultural Resource-Based Industry Development Corporation; MidAtlantic Farm Credit; the Specialty Crop Block Grant Program; the Maryland Agricultural Education Foundation; the Rural Maryland Council; and the Maryland Soybean Board. Other support comes from: the Maryland Association of Soil Conservation Districts; Wegmans Food Markets; the Maryland Nursery, Landscape & Greenhouse Association; the Maryland Seafood Marketing Fund; the United States Department of Agriculture Natural Resources Conservation Service; the Delmarva Poultry Industry, Inc.; the Maryland Farm Bureau; The Keith Campbell Foundation for the Environment; Mar-Del Watermelon Association; Eddie Mercer Agri-Services, Inc.; and Southern Maryland Agricultural Development Commission.
More on Marylandian
- For Third Year in a Row, Yard Management Solutions Named 2020 MHI Innovation Award Finalist
- Adams Natural Resources Fund Updates Distribution Declaration
- Meeting Notice: Maryland Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners to Meet February 27
- iMediate Inc Publishes Video Guide to Child Custody for Fathers and Mothers
- Airlite Plastics Co. Announces the Unification of its Arctic Fox Brand Into KODIAKOOLER®
Follow Maryland Department of Agriculture on Twitter @MdAgDept
Latest on Marylandian
- Bonkers Toys Continues To Lead The Way with YouTube Inspired Toys by Partnering with the Stars of Trinity & Beyond and Braille Skateboarding
- Insightra Medical Inc. launches "The Hernia Alliance"
- Work 365 Introduces more Payment Integrations
- Popular Browser Extension Leaves Beta
- Arctaris Impact Announces Arctaris Baltimore
- Benchmark Adds FileFlex Enterprise To Its Suite of Cybersecurity Solutions
- Cannabis and CBD at Retail: The New Branding Bonanza Growing in this $14 Billion Market, according to Packaged Facts
- Registration Open for 2020 Maryland Farmers Market Conference
- Former Xerox and Tektronix President and Three-Time CEO Joins CEO Coaching International
- Expanded services focus on CVMG's Patient Experience
- KYOCERA to Showcase Ceramics-Based Medical Technologies at MD&M West Expo, Feb. 11-13 in Anaheim
- Meeting Notice: Maryland Horse Industry Board to Meet on February 20
- SANS Offers More Than 35 Immersion-Style Courses at San Diego Cyber Security Training Event
- Senseeker Announces the World's First 8 µm Pitch, Dual-Band Infrared Imaging DROIC
- Pilot Trading software tool now available to Questrade customers
- Maryland: Meeting Notice: State Soil Conservation Committee to Meet February 20
- National Opioid Crisis Expert, Dynamic Speaker And Author, Dr. John Rosa Starts Year With Good News
- Maryland Tech Council Expands to Frederick to Create Larger Footprint in State of Maryland
- CEO Coaching International Congratulates Client, Ice Mobility, on Recent Acquisition
- Barcelona Startup Reloadly Celebrates New Partnerships with 25 Leading Mobile Operators